Need business ideas that you can start at home for a small investment? The beauty industry, also known as the cosmetics industry is a very attractive industry that you should consider starting a business in. Largely because, everyone including children and adults want to look beautiful and they express this in different ways.
While some place emphasis on how they look, others place emphasis on how they feel or smell, presenting a big opportunity for those who want to invest in this industry.
Even in economic downturns, it is not unusual to visit the mall to pick a lipstick or buy deodorant because there are some things we just can’t do without yea? 🙂
Some Quick Facts You Need to Know
- The beauty industry generated $56.2 billion in the United States
- At 24%, hair care products represents the largest part of the beauty industry
- A recent survey reveals that of women who wear makeup, almost half started wearing it between the ages of 14 and 16 (51%), yet more than a quarter of women began using it between the ages of 11 and 13 (27%)
- Chief driver of growth and revenue include products focused on aging population, babies and young children; and men
What You Need to Start a Business in the Cosmetics Industry
An Understanding of the Market: which makeup products are the best? which retailers should you work with? when is the peak season? when do sales decline? how can you get the best price on products?
Competitor Study: it’s very important you study the people already in the business. Find out the reason why people like to buy from them, their line of products, fast-moving products and how they promote their business in on and off peak periods.
Free Samples: Free samples help you test the product and show it to your customers to be sure they are interested before you invest money in purchasing products.
You may also need to contact companies directly and check their requirement for sending you free samples.
Capital: Most of the business ideas below require little to no investment. The beauty of the beauty industry 😉 is your contacts can play a big role in helping you land clients. However, if you want to fast track your growth, you need capital.
Your initial investment can be used for:
- Business Registration
- Website setup: Read the complete guide on how to build your business by blogging
- Product Purchase
- Advertising: or do this 50 things when business is slow to put your business on the fast lane
Business Activities: Majority of revenue in the beauty industry come from product sales and franchising. You need to actively market your brand and find the channels that drive fast growth for your business.
There are 40 great ideas here but you need to choose the best one for you. Here is a step-by-step guide that shows you how to pick your most profitable business idea.
40 Beauty Industry Business Ideas and Opportunities
- Makeup distributor
- Beauty palour
- Make up artist
- High-end Skin care line
- Hair stylist
- Beauty blog
- Beauty TV Channel
- Beauty school
- Herbal skin care line
- Weight loss coach
- Beauty Planner
- Body piercing
- Beauty YouTube personality
- Makeup Reviewer
- Cosmetics brand ambassador
- Skin care consultant
- Spa and Massage centre
- Fitness centre
- Organic product line
- Hair growth formula
- Human hair and Weaves store
- Home service beauty attendant
- Hair removal service
- Cosmetics fair
- Image consultant
- Etiquette training
- Massage therapist
- Tanning salon
- Hair specialist
- Confidence coach
- Production of homemade soap
- Production of baby wipes
- Style Coach
- Cartoon character styling
- Costume makeup
- Vintage make up artist
- Sale of Hair Dyes
- Head Wraps
These are the best business ideas in the beauty industry aka cosmetic industry that you can start and drive huge revenue.
And the only things that you need to get started are what I mentioned in the beginning of the article and
- A laptop
Start from where you are and make steady progress.
My fave advice:
“Do five things everyday to move your business forward”